These days, most people take electronic word-processing for granted. While we may still write out our grocery lists with pen and paper, we expect to use a computer to create the majority of our documents. It's impossible to avoid word-processing software in many areas of the business world. Managers, lawyers, clerks, reporters, and editors rely on this software to do their jobs. Whether you are an executive secretary or a website designer, you'll need to know the ins and outs of electronic word-processing.
Microsoft® Word 2013 is designed to help you move smoothly through the task of creating professional-looking documents. Its rich features and powerful tools can make your work easy, and even fun. In this course, you'll learn how to use Word 2013 to create and edit simple documents; format documents; add tables and lists; add design elements and layout options; and proof documents.
You can also use this course to prepare for the Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) Certification exams for Microsoft Word 2013.
In this course, you will learn fundamental Word 2013 skills. You will start by getting acquainted with the Word user interface, creating a new document, and finding help. You will find, select, and modify text. You'll format text as well as paragraphs, and add tables to documents. You'll manage more complicated lists, and insert graphic objects. You'll apply design and layout options to pages. You'll check your documents for spelling, grammar, and other errors, and use other proofing tools to look up information. Finally, you'll customize the Word environment to better suit your individual work habits, and learn additional methods of saving documents.
- Identify the various components of the Word interface, create a new Word document, enter text into a document, save a document, preview and print a document, and search Help.
- Navigate through a document to find and select text, modify selected text, and find and replace text.
- Apply character formatting to text, align paragraphs using tab stops, display text as list items, control paragraph layout, apply borders and shading to paragraphs, apply text styles, and manage formatting in documents.
- Insert a table into a document, modify the structure of a table, format a table, and convert text to a table.
- Sort a list, renumber a list, and customize a list.
- Insert symbols and special characters, and add images to a document.
- Apply page borders and colors, apply a watermark, add a header and footer to a document, and control page layout.
- Check spelling and grammar and use other proofing tools.
- Customize the Word interface and use additional options for saving.
This course is intended for students who want to learn basic Word 2013 skills, such as creating, editing, and formatting documents; inserting simple tables and creating lists; and employing a variety of techniques for improving the appearance and accuracy of document content.
To ensure success, students should be familiar with using personal computers, and should have experience using a keyboard and mouse. Students should be comfortable in the Windows® 8 environment, and be able to use Windows 8 to manage information on their computers. Specific tasks the students should be able to perform include: launching and closing applications, navigating basic file structures, and managing files and folders.
Lesson 1: Getting Started with Word
- Topic A: Identify the Components of the Word Interface
- Topic B: Create a Word Document
- Topic C: Help
Lesson 2: Editing a Document
- Topic A: Navigate and Select Text
- Topic B: Modify Text
- Topic C: Find and Replace Text
Lesson 3: Formatting Text and Paragraphs
- Topic A: Apply Character Formatting
- Topic B: Align Text Using Tabs
- Topic C: Display Text as List Items
- Topic D: Control Paragraph Layout
- Topic E: Apply Borders and Shading
- Topic F: Apply Styles
- Topic G: Manage Formatting
Lesson 4: Adding Tables
- Topic A: Insert a Table
- Topic B: Modify a Table
- Topic C: Format a Table
- Topic D: Convert Text to a Table
Lesson 5: Managing Lists
- Topic A: Sort a List
- Topic B: Renumber a List
- Topic C: Customize a List
Lesson 6: Inserting Graphic Objects
- Topic A: Insert Symbols and Special Characters
- Topic B: Add Images to a Document
Lesson 7: Controlling Page Appearance
- Topic A: Apply a Page Border and Color
- Topic B: Add a Watermark
- Topic C: Add Headers and Footers
- Topic D: Control Page Layout
Lesson 8: Proofing a Document
- Topic A: Check Spelling and Grammar
- Topic B: Other Proofing Tools
- Topic C: Check Accessibility
Lesson 9: Customizing the Word Environment
- Topic A: Customize the Word Interface
- Topic B: Additional Save Options
Appendix A: Microsoft Office Word 2013 Exam 77-418
Appendix B: Microsoft Office Word 2013 Expert Exam 77-419
Appendix C: Microsoft Word 2013 Common Keyboard Shortcuts