CompTIA® Security+® (Exam SY0-401) is the primary course you will need to take if your job responsibilities include securing network services, devices, and traffic in your organization. You can also take this course to prepare for the CompTIA Security+ certification examination. In this course, you will build on your knowledge of and professional experience with security fundamentals, networks, and organizational security as you acquire the specific skills required to implement basic security services on any type of computer network.
This course can benefit you in two ways. If you intend to pass the CompTIA Security+ (Exam SY0-401) certification examination, this course can be a significant part of your preparation. But certification is not the only key to professional success in the field of computer security. Today's job market demands individuals with demonstrable skills, and the information and activities in this course can help you build your computer security skill set so that you can confidently perform your duties in any security-related role.
In this course, you will implement, monitor, and troubleshoot infrastructure, application, information, and operational security.
- Identify the fundamental concepts of computer security.
- Identify security threats and vulnerabilities.
- Manage data, application, and host security.
- Implement network security.
- Identify and implement access control and account management security measures.
- Manage certificates.
- Identify and implement compliance and operational security measures.
- Manage risk.
- Troubleshoot and manage security incidents.
- Plan for business continuity and disaster recovery.
This course is targeted toward the information technology (IT) professional who has networking and administrative skills in Windows®-based Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) networks; familiarity with other operating systems, such as Mac OS X®, Unix, or Linux; and who wants to further a career in IT by acquiring foundational knowledge of security topics; prepare for the CompTIA Security+ certification examination; or use Security+ as the foundation for advanced security certifications or career roles.
CompTIA Security+ Certification
To ensure your success in your course, you should possess basic Windows user skills and a fundamental understanding of computer and networking concepts.
CompTIA A+ and Network+ certifications, or equivalent knowledge, and six to nine months experience in networking, including configuring security parameters, are strongly recommended
Additional introductory courses or work experience in application development and programming, or in network and operating system administration for any software platform or system are helpful but not required.
Lesson 1: Security Fundamentals
- Topic A: The Information Security Cycle
- Topic B: Information Security Controls
- Topic C: Authentication Methods
- Topic D: Cryptography Fundamentals
- Topic E: Security Policy Fundamentals
Lesson 2: Identifying Security Threats and Vulnerabilities
- Topic A: Social Engineering
- Topic B: Malware
- Topic C: Software-Based Threats
- Topic D: Network-Based Threats
- Topic E: Wireless Threats and Vulnerabilities
- Topic F: Physical Threats and Vulnerabilities
Lesson 3: Managing Data, Application, and Host Security
- Topic A: Manage Data Security
- Topic B: Manage Application Security
- Topic C: Manage Device and Host Security
- Topic D: Manage Mobile Security
Lesson 4: Implementing Network Security
- Topic A: Configure Security Parameters on Network Devices and Technologies
- Topic B: Network Design Elements and Components
- Topic C: Implement Networking Protocols and Services
- Topic D: Apply Secure Network Administration Principles
- Topic E: Secure Wireless Traffic
Lesson 5: Implementing Access Control, Authentication, and Account Management
- Topic A: Access Control and Authentication Services
- Topic B: Implement Account Management Security Controls
Lesson 6: Managing Certificates
- Topic A: Install a CA Hierarchy
- Topic B: Enroll Certificates
- Topic C: Secure Network Traffic by Using Certificates
- Topic D: Renew Certificates
- Topic E: Back Up and Restore Certificates and Private Keys
- Topic F: Revoke Certificates
Lesson 7: Implementing Compliance and Operational Security
- Topic A: Physical Security
- Topic B: Legal Compliance
- Topic C: Security Awareness and Training
- Topic D: Integrate Systems and Data with Third Parties
Lesson 8: Risk Management
- Topic A: Risk Analysis
- Topic B: Implement Vulnerability Assessment Tools and Techniques
- Topic C: Scan for Vulnerabilities
- Topic D: Mitigation and Deterrent Techniques
Lesson 9: Troubleshooting and Managing Security Incidents
- Topic A: Respond to Security Incidents
- Topic B: Recover from a Security Incident
Lesson 10: Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery Planning
- Topic A: Business Continuity
- Topic B: Plan for Disaster Recovery
- Topic C: Execute DRPs and Procedures
Appendix A: Mapping Course Content to CompTIA® Security+® Exam SY0-401